Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ichiro, Hafner ink new deals: What does this mean for future star MLB free agents?

With Ichiro Suzuki and Travis Hafner signing new lucrative contracts and the big names that are approaching free agency in the next couple of years, this decade is going to mark another salary explosion in professional baseball. Whether it’s contract extensions or testing the market, the free agents that are on the horizon are going to break the bank. I wonder how long it’s going to take until Brinks trucks are backing up into A-Rod’s driveway and dumping a few tons of gold bullion onto his front lawn.

Ichiro just signed a four year, $100 million contract. Personally, I really like Ichiro and was looking forward to maybe seeing him in an O’s uniform in center field. I know I was kidding myself, but a guy can dream, can’t he? But 100 mill may be a bit much, especially with all the money he was guaranteed through the last 3 seasons. Yes, I know he can run the bases, play solid defense, and has the best batting average since 2001, but when was the last time you heard someone paying that much for a lead-off hitter? Seems a bit too steep for me.

Travis Hafner, at the ripe age of 30, just inked a four year, $57 million contract extension that will keep him in an Indians uniform until 2012, with a club option through 2013. Wow…I mean I know the guy hits a lot of home runs, but he’s only batting .262 with a .397 OBP this season, and at age 30, his best years could be behind him (relax, people, I’m not saying that they are, I’m saying it’s a possibility). Call me crazy, to me that’s not worth $57 million.

So, A-Rod, Torri Hunter, Carlos Zambrano, and Adam Dunn must be licking their chops right now. These MLB A-listers will be free agents in 2008 (A-Rod can opt out, and probably will from what I’m hearing from Scott Boras). Can you imagine what teams will pay for A-Rod? I guarantee he will make at least $30 million per season with his new deal. C’mon, Peter Angelos, break out that check book!

And look at this list in ’09! Just to name a few: Johan Santana, Vladimir Guerrero, C.C. Sabathia, Erik Bedard, Jason Bay, Dan Harren, Matt Holiday, Reed Johnson.

These next few years could mark the next salary explosion in professional baseball, the first of course being in the 90’s. In 1990, the average cost of a 25 man roster was about $14.5 million. Today, it’s approaching $70 million. Looking at these recent signings and with big name free agents on the horizon, within the next decade, look for it to jump again.

By: Alex Thomas
Intern, 1570 AM WNST, Baltimore
http://www.wnst.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

plentiful motivating preparing endorsed turn solar cataract equivalent omega palentypists bodys
lolikneri havaqatsu